Baked Berries and Oats
Can you smell that? Oh, how I wish that you could! Wouldn’t it be wonderful if computers had scratch ‘n sniff screens? If only…
This morning, I bolted out of bed in anticipation for this delightful and heavenly breakfast treat. I adapted and healthified this recipe. It left our bellies warm and cozy while we sipped the final drops of coffee in bed. If I wasn’t practicing serving size restraint, I guarantee there wouldn’t be any leftovers in the fridge for tomorrow. Make the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning…a perfect start to any day!
- 2 cups oats (I use Red Mill thick cut…a little more expensive but well worth it in my opinion)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups milk (skim or 1% will do!)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (good vanilla as Ina says)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries (use any combination of fruits…peaches or/& bananas would be great)
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- (for a cake-like/fluffier baked oatmeal, add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder to dry ingredients)
How to Play:
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Combine dry ingredients in bowl.
- In another bowl combine wet ingredients (allow butter to cool before adding to milk and egg mixture).
- Coat baking dish (I use a 9X12) with a little butter or spray.
- Place a few berries in bottom of dish.
- Pour in dry mixture
- Cover dry mixture with butter/milk/egg mixture ensuring that the dry ingredients are saturated with the milk.
- Top with more berries and sprinkle with a little brown sugar.
- Bake at 375F for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve in a bowl and top with warmed milk.